Rich Tea Loaf (Kuchen)
Source: Rose Shapiro to Florence Levine (with instructions to "guard this recipe with your life!")
1 envelope dry yeast
¼ cup lukewarm water
1/3 cup milk, scalded
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 egg yolks
½ tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
¼ tsp. lemon extract
3 cups flour (approximately)
1. Dissolve yeast in water.
2. Place scalded milk in a large bowl and add sugar and butter. Stir to melt and dissolve. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Beat the egg and yolks together and add to the yeast. Then stir into the milk mixture in bowl. Add salt, lemon peel and extract.
4. Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
5. Place dough in a clean greased bowl and let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 1-1/4 hours.
6. Knock down and knead lightly on floured board. Roll into rectangle 10"x4". Roll up from short end and tuck under the ends. Place in greased loaf pan.
7. Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 10 minutes and reduce heat to 350. Bake another 30 minutes or longer until done. Cool on rack.