Source: thekitchn.com adapted by Michael Pistrang
This is a great way to cook a steak without the use of a grill, especially when serving just 2 or 3 people, since it requires the use of not only the oven but a cast iron skillet which has limited space.
~1 lb ribeye steak, 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
2 T Canola or vegetable oil
1 T Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Cast iron skillet
Very thick oven mitt
1) Place the cast iron skillet in the oven and pre-heat to broil (high).
2) Bring steak to room temperature, drain any extra juices and blot with dry paper towels.
3) Set aside 3 bowls, and fill one each with the salt, pepper and oil.
4) Brush the oil all over the steak, coating generously, patting the steak so it sticks
5) Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the steak, adding more/less of each per your preference. (1 T of salt is VERY salty for me)
6) Turn on a stove top burner to high.
7) Remove the cast iron pan from oven (carefully!) and place on the hot stove top.
8) Place steak in center of pan and cook for 30 seconds.
9) Flip the steak, and cook for another 30 seconds.
10) Put pan with steak into the oven.
11) Cook for 2 minutes in the oven, flip the steak, and cook the other side for 2 more minutes in the oven to reach rare.
(adjust this to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium).
12) Remove steak from oven, cover with tinfoil and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
13) Slice against the grain
If desired, you can cook some mushroom, onions, or a pan sauce in the skillet once the steak has been removed in order to soak up any leftover juices.