Source: Judy Pistrang
1 lb. medium to large shrimp (40-48)
2 T oil
1 small onion, choped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (14-16 oz) tomatoes, chopped
2 T parsley, minced
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. hot dry red pepper flakes
1/2 cup white or ros wine
4 oz. tomato sauce
2 T oil (in addition to the first 2 T)
1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
2 Tablespoons ouzo
1. Clean shrimp, rinse and dry. Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
2. Heat 2 T oil and saute onion until soft. Add garlic and saute a bit more.
3. Add tomatoes (including their juice), parsley, a bit of salt, freshly ground pepper, oregano and hot pepper flakes.
4. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the wine, 4 oz. of tomato sauce, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Saute shrimp in 2 T oil for a minute or so, until pink.
6. Distribute approximately half the sauce into 4 individual casserole dishes.
7. Distribute the shrimp into the 4 dishes (10-12 in each) and spoon the remaining sauce over them.
8. Spread the crumbled feta cheese over the top of each dish.
9. In a preheated oven, at 350, bake for 20 minutes, uncovered. Pour 1/4 of the ouzo (about 1/2 T) into each dish a few minutes before the baking is done.
Serve with plenty of good bread for dunking.
Notes: Can also be baked in one large casserole instead of individual ones, especially if the recipe is to be doubled or tripled.
Judy likes to chop the onions, garlic, tomatoes, and parsley in the Cuisinart. David edited this recipe in May 2022 to reduce the amount of wine and ouzo.